Dale Hollow Lake Information

Dale Hollow Dam 

 

Dale Hollow Lake and Dam was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1938 and the River and Harbor Act of 1946.  The project was completed for flood control in 1943 and power generating units were installed in 1948, 1949, and 1953.  The project was designed by the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers and built by private contractors.  The Dale Hollow Dam, Power Plant, and Reservoir are operated by the Nashville District of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Dale Hollow Lake covers portions of Clay, Overton, and Pickett Counties in Tennessee and Clinton and Cumberland Counties in Kentucky.  Dale Hollow Lake consists of 27,700 surface acres of water and 24,842 acres of surrounding land.  The Dale Hollow Lake Shoreline Management Plan provides policies for the effective long range management and protection of entrusted natural resources.  These public lands are managed to allow the shoreline and forested hillsides to remain in their natural state with no provisions for private exclusive use.

The primary purpose of the Dale Hollow Dam was for flood control.  The dam helps control flooding of  the Obey River in the areas below the dam and also in areas along the Cumberland River.  The secondary purpose of the dam is for power generation.  Power produced at Dale Hollow Lake is sufficient to supply the needs of an average city of 45,000 people. Recreation is third on the list.  Each year, the lake provides recreational opportunities including fishing, boating, skiing, swimming, and scuba diving  for millions of visitors.